Tuesday, December 10, 2019

December 24, 2018 | Shimmerz Colors Overload Layout

Hello everyone!

Today's Christmas layout features lots and lots of gorgeous colors paired with an equally lovely cutfile and glitter gold acetate. I used a Vicki Boutin foundations paper as my base since I knew that my mixed media was going quite a lot. This sort of paper is a mix between a gessoed cardstock and a non-gesso background; it holds the color a bit (like a non-gessoed background), but gives up a few moments to blend or move colors around (like a gessoed cardstock). In all, it took me about 3 hours to make this layout, but most of it was spent creating the background (and allowing it to dry) and backing the cutfile.


Let's get started! I used the colors that were in the picture to inspire the color scheme for my layout; that called for lots of colors! For each of the colors that you see underneath the letters of the cutfile, I used the packaging technique to add the main color and then added a slightly different color by way of splatters. I would wait for each color section to completely dry before moving on to the next color in order to prevent getting muddled colors. Listed below are all the colors used divided up into which letter they are found under:

D - Moody Mauve; Gold-N-Roses

E - Honey Dew List; Hint of Mint
C - Hot Fudge; Penny 4 Your Thoughts
E - Marigold; Miner, Miner 49er
M - In Deep; Tickle Me Turquoise
B - Red Necking; Crimson Tide
E - Hi Ho Silver; Coal
R - Jolly Green Giant; Green Goddess

The cutfile was designed by Virginia Walker (COAPA Cutfiles) and, not wanting to cover up my base, I backed the letters with clear acetate with golden glittery accents. For the bow, I colored some scrap white cardstock with Pip Pip Cherry O and backed it with that. Did the same thing for the Holly (Hermit the Frog on some green cardstock; Goldie Lox on red cardstock) and candy cane (Goldie Lox on red cardstock; Misty Morning on white cardstock) and backed them once everything was dry. The entire cutfile is placed on craft foam for added dimension, and placed it to the left hand side of the base.


I matted my picture on white cardstock and added a few layers of Christmassy patterned paper, popped it up on craft foam and wedged it between the "C" and the "R". I lightly embellished so as not to take away from the picture, cutfile and base, and to not over crowd the overall layout. Next are some extra close-ups!





I hope I've inspired you to make a colorful layout such as this, and that you get your story documented. Remember, write my name down in the comments section of your next Shimmerz order to receive some free paint!

Stay crafty and I'll see you soon!
- Lorimar

No comments: