Thursday, March 5, 2020

Create Magic | Mixed Media Layout without Any Patterned Paper w/ Process Video

Hello everyone! Lorimar here sharing this super "messy" mixed media layout with you. Link to Process Video: https://youtu.be/on6FUoFhvEE

Have you had a chance to participate in our Spring Forward Challenge? It's a bit scary, at first, knowing that you can't use patterned paper, but I promise you, it's so fun to really push yourself and know that you make something just as amazing!

Here's my layout using the Spring Forward Challenge. Since I couldn't use patterned paper, I decided to up the ante and really use a lot of different mixed media products.

To begin, I chose a black cardstock as my base and added white acrylic paint with a palette knife to make a sort of frame beneath where my picture was going to be placed. After waiting for the paint to dry, I added Shimmerz in Mango Tango (Vibez), Jenni B Bleu (Vibez), Mustard Seed (Coloringz), and Hermit the Frog (Vibez) onto the white paint using the packaging technique, and added splatters of the same colors to the black cardstock.


If you look closely at my photo, my sons are playing with their toy cars in the midst of a big ol' mess. I don't mind the mess as long as they are playing and learning! In fact, it works out because the messiness served as inspiration for the "messy" vibe the overall layout has. After waiting for the Shimmerz to dry, I used a 12x12 star stencil and Dazzlerz in Gummy Beary Blue to add some texture and dimension to the layout. I've also used Dazzlerz Gold Mine with a Paige Evans Stencil to add even more interest and texture.



As soon as everything was dry, I dug into my stash for the eclectic array of embellishments that you see in the layout; I used ephemera, stickers, chipboard stickers, a bow, and wood veneers to further play on the boyish, messy theme. To tie everything together, I splattered some Pixie Dust (Blingz) all through-out the layout.



There you have it! Hope I've inspired you to join us in the Spring Forward Challenge. Let's get our stories documented.

Remember, you can receive some free paint if you write my name "LORIMAR" in the comments section of your next Shimmerz order.



Have a great day,
- Lorimar


No comments: