Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Mixing Old with New! Mixed Media Video Tutorial!


Hello everyone, Gabrielle here with you today! Do you ever look at your pile of old stash that you've had building up over the years and think, what will I ever do with this item?  Years ago when I first started out scrapping I had bought some LARGE Prima blooms, I think I might have used one or two of them on a page but these blooms are seriously BIG, lol.  I finally found a fun way to use them!  I had been browsing around on Pinterest and saw this artist from Singapore named Grace Ciao who does her artwork with real live fresh flowers.  I thought her artwork is really beautiful but thought it's sad that the blooms will die (I think she takes photos of her work and uses those).  Anyway, it got me to thinking that it would be fun to use those old fabric petals that I had in my stash from those many years ago to create a fun mixed media style canvas.  (You can use any fabric or paper flower petals for this project, I was just happy to find a good use for my old stash! :)

I was also looking to use this months (February's) Inspiration Board from Dusty Attic (see my personal blog post for more details....so I gathered together a few of my favorite Dusty Attic chipboard pieces and colors from this palette from my Shimmerz Paints, and got to working.  Here is a step by step Video Tutorial I put together on how I made this project...enjoy!



This project was a lot of fun to create!  I began by quickly drawing up a figure, which I then traced out onto a piece of neutral color paper.  Here is a copy of my figure, just right click on the photo and 'save image as' to your computer, then print out for your own use...


Here are a couple close up shots of the canvas. ...


I used Tombow adhesive to apply the petals to my project but on hindsight think I would use a different fabric/craft glue (like Aleene's) for this next time....I feel like the Tombow seeped through the fabric of my petals and left a bit of a subtle stain. (I will definitely be trying this out again! :)


Here is a list of the Shimmerz products I used to make this canvas:


Shimmerz Paint Products:

- Tuscan Sun Spritz
- Treasured Hymn Spritz
- Pumped up Purple Coloringz
- Razzle Dazzle Berry Vibez
- Don't Be Suede Vibez
- Have a Grape Day Texturez
- Marooned Over Miami Texturez
- Coral Me Crazy Dazzlerz
- Ruby Lost Her Slippers Inklingz
- Miner Miner 49er Inklingz
NOTE:  Be sure to get a FREE/Bonus Shimmerz product (in the color of your choice) with your next Shimmerz order by mentioning my name in the Instructions to Merchant part of your order!

Thanks so much for stopping by the Shimmerz Blog today, hope you enjoy playing with your Shimmerz products as I do! xo xo



2 comments:

Janene said...

Seriously - this girl rocks and by this girl I mean the fabulous Gabrielle Pollacco. Her drawing rocks too of course. :) Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Gabrielle Pollacco said...

Aw, Janene, you are so sweet, thanks for all your kind comments! xo