Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Happy Spring Day | 12x12 Mixed Media Layout using origami butterflies

Hello everyone!

    Lorimar here, sharing this gorgeous, butterfly-filled 12x12 mixed media layout. I've used more or less the same color-scheme as that of the May Color Kitz. I played around with making some origami butterflies and also pulled out 4 different butterfly punches. Here's the process video: https://youtu.be/eMMF4TICjUI

Let's get started!
For my origami butterflies, I colored some leftover white cardstock with Paradise Punch, Mustard Seed, Bahama Mama, Limoncello, 1 Hot Mama, and Bumbly Bee; set it aside to dry. Be sure to let your cardtock/paper dry completely before folding it as it might tear easily if it's still damp.

Selected a sheet of Tutu Pink Bazzill cardstock and sprayed Snow Storm, Tuscan Sun, Cotton Candy, and Chick A Dee in a diagonal line from right to left. I did this to further give my layout some sense of movement. Set my base aside to dry and got to work on my butterflies.

I trimmed out (2) 2x2 inch, (2) 3x3 inch, (2) 3.5x3.5 inch squares to use for my butterflies. Here's the video I watched: Origami Butterflies. With the remainder of my leftover cardstock, I punched out a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of butterflies. My design for the arrangement of the butterflies was to emulate them fluttering off the page from right to left, so I began to place them all scattered around the page and pointing towards different places to try and convey movement.

The origami butterflies are very dimensional so they don't require craft foam; however, some of the other butterflies have to wings popped up on craft foam. To finish off my layout, I matted my picture with a layer of patterned paper, popped it up on some craft foam, added a few butterfly wood veneers, placed my title beneath my picture and wrote the date underneath it. For some extra sparkle, I scattered some Spiegelmom Scraps Sequins (Pink Promenade).

And that's it! I hope I've inspired you to get your stories documented, get your Shimmerz out and play! Thank you so much for looking and I'll see you back soon!

Have a great Shimmery day!
- Lorimar

No comments: