Thursday, July 30, 2020

Mixed Media Layout | Missy Whidden

Hello, friends!  Missy here with a new layout featuring lots of yummy Shimmerz :)  I pulled out the Simple Stories Carpe Diem collection from 2016 and built my color scheme from that.  I first started by fussy cutting the large floral cluster & days of the week circles from patterned paper.  I chose matching Shimmerz to add to the background.

Colors Used:
Vibez--Elfin Magic, Palm Reader, Glorious Day
Spritz--Cotton Candy, Caribbean Sunset, Granny Grey
Creameez--Boogie Boardin' Blue, Refresh Mint

My background is thick white cardstock, which I coated with clear gesso first.  Once I arranged the circles and decided where my photo would go, I  started adding color.  I wanted the colors to look like they were running from each circle.  I sprayed each color on to some plastic first and used a brush to paint it on like watercolor.  As each layer dried, I did spray a few directly on to the paper.  I used a brush to paint on the Creameez since they come in little pots.


I love how these soft muted rainbow colors blended into each other in such a subtle way.  That happens because of gesso :)  I popped up all the circles to create some dimension.  I just got my hands on some beautiful Kerri Bradford alpha stamps, and I used them here to create a large title.  Since this collection is all about seizing the day, I wanted a smaller title of Carpe Diem below the large title.  I used some older Bella Blvd alphas stickers for that.


I did a lot of fussy cutting here...florals and feathers.  I almost didn't add the feathers, but they matched so well.  I liked how they looked cascading down from the circles.  The larger ones are from the Sticker Sheet, and the smaller ones were from the 6x6 Paper Pad.  I added adhesive foam behind them as well as some yellow and blue thread.


I love the different shimmer effects from all the Shimmerz products.  Here you can see the pretty shimmer from the Vibez.  Since I added water to them, the shimmer was diluted a bit.  Without water added, the shimmer is even stronger.  And I wanted to add that out of all the Shimmerz I have, I didn't have this exact green color.  I mixed and matched two colors to create it.  That's what I love about these paints...if you need a certain color that you don't have, you can use a few to create it.


I added foam under the big floral cluster and then added some stickers to the left of it.


It was a lot of fun to match up the Shimmerz colors to these circles.  I love making color washes like this...just soft colors blended into each other.  I wanted to soften up the colors on the bigger feathers, so I smudged some white gesso over them to give them a faded look.


Here are a few more close-ups of all the goodness :)




Instead of using papers to layer under the photo, I used the Cotton Candy Vibez.










I hope this inspires you today!  It was a lot of fun to make.  Be sure to check out the Shimmerz store to purchase any of the colors used here.  There are also Dotz, Stencilz and more in the store!

Here's the link to my process video:





Thanks for stopping by!


No comments: