Thursday, October 17, 2019

You Are One Of A Kind

Hello! Super excited to be playing along for the Shimmerz Color Challenge, and here's my first layout.

I chose Coffee (love the name, color, and drink; Lol!) because I find it really hard to use browns as focal colors in my projects. This being said, I love this color now!

For this layout, not only did I step outside my comfort zone in terms of the focal color, I also pushed myself into making a masculine, nature-themed layout to document this picture from a few years ago of my husband (then my boyfriend) enjoying one of his hobbies.


Bearing in mind how brown is a color I struggle with, I also don't have a lot of patterned paper in this tine. Plus, I love color, I added blues and greens into mix by using the same colors/tonez from within the picture. I first began to work on my background. I dipped my brush into the Coffee pot (no pun intended) and started to draw vertical lines. Without waiting for it to dry, I ran a brayer over it and did the same thing only with horizontal lines. Splattered a few drops unto the background with the same color. Waited for it to dry and, using a "reptile skin" stencil and Jeni B Blue (Vibez), added a layer of teal to the background. Set the base aside again to dry and began to work on creating all the layer for the picture cluster.



I used a lot of different patterns in different tones of blue or green to layer in beneath my picture. Mixed in a bit of teal, but tried to stay between the blue and greens. Added a pop I did at a pop of brown right next to my picture tie in with the background. My picture/patterned paper cluster is set on 3D craft foam and the picture itself is also set on some craft foam. In the end, there are 2 layers beneath my picture.



Then I trimmed about maybe an inch on each side of the base a wonky matter and then distress the edges. In a way I wanted to recreate the idea of an old map. Beneath the first base, I placed a light blue pattern paper with rope design; I did this to continue with the masculine, nature-like vibe. With a brayer, I added a bit of In Deep (Coloringz) around the border and used a brayer to thin it out. Then added some splatters. Since the first base is light and the second base is white, I ran my brush with Coffee around the entire border of the second base. Did this also to further add on to the element of the distressed look.



Once everything was dry, I placed my patterned paper cluster onto my base with glue (I find it works better when adhering things on mixed media), and began finalizing the layout using embellishments in different tones of blues, greens and browns. Layered some green leaflets (leftover from another project) to give another "nature-y" element, added my journaling in blue marker and finished it all off with splatters in Coffee (Shimmerz) and  Oakie Dokie (Creameez)



3 words: I LOVE IT!! Hope you are inspired to make something like this, and thank you for looking! Remember, type my name in the comments section of your next Shimmerz order to receive some free paint.

Thank you once more for looking and happy craftin'!

- Lorimar

No comments: