Wednesday, October 16, 2019

'You Take the Cake' Color Challenge with Process Video by Niki Rowland


Hi everyone, this is Niki here with you today and it's my turn to play along with the October Color Challenge. The DT are each choosing one colour that we haven't used before or that we wouldn't usually choose, and using that colour predominantly on our layouts. You can play along with the Color Challenge over on the Shimmerz Sharez facebook group or on Instagram using the hashtag #shimmerzcolorchallenge.

My chosen colour was 'Steely Blue Eyes' which is an Inklingz. It's a dark rich navy and I haven't used it much before becuase it is so dark. But it's a really lovely colour and I really love the layout I made using it as my predominant colour. There is a process video for this layout that you can view at the end of this post.

I started by creating a packaging technique background. I made this in a vertical design and used Steely Blue eyes to create most of it, I did also add two more colours: Oakie Bear Blue Inklingz and Blue Lagoon Inklingz. These were to give my background a little colour variation. I also added lots of splatters around my background.


I also stamped with Steely Blue Eyes. I painted some of the paint onto some stamps and then stamped onto my background. I found it worked best to stamp some of the colour off the stamp first before stamping it onto the layout. This meant the details of the stamps showed up better. Thick Inklingz paint worked best too - more runny and there would have been more bleeding. I used three different texture stamps on this background, all with the Steely Blue Eyes Inklingz.


I then added naked chipboard circles onto my layout. Once they were stuck in place I painted them with the Steely Blue Eyes too. I find that both chipboard and wood veneer take Shimmerz paints really well and colour beautifully. Also when they are dry you can really see the beautiful shimmer.


I built up my layout with lots of embellishments. I used several things from Vicki Boutin Color Kaleidescope for this layout. I also added some clear stickers, flair and two Dotz by Shimmerz. I then added some wood veneer hearts, and painted those too with Steely Blue Eyes Inklingz.

I also added a title using various alphabet stickers and finished off with some sequins.
Here's another look at my finished layout:

Thank you for joining me today. I hope you have enjoyed my layout and will also play along with the Color Challenge...what colour will you choose?

Here is my process video:

Don't forget if you place an order via the Shimmerz Store, enter my name in the comments to get a freebie - enjoy!

Happy scrapping xx




No comments: