Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Catch of the Day Lakeside | Shimmerz Paints | MK Gunn


Hey, MK here! Sharing an outdoorsy layout, wishing it was still warm outside.  Our winter has barely begun and I'm already for it to be overwith. So I scrap the outdoors to get over my cabin fever.


Today I've combined greens and browns with the Simple Stories Simple Vintage Lakeside Collection.  The colors I have chosen for this project: 
From the Shimmerz collection: Coffee, Slow Ocean & Rita on the Rocks
From the Inklings Collection: Penny 4 Your Thoughts & I'm Not Limon
From the Coloringz Collection: Sage it Ain't So

Such beautiful warm, earthy colors....



I started by ripping one of my printed papers around the print that I wanted on my layout.  Then I used a pencil to trace around the print and one of my photos - no sense in putting color where you aren't going to see it.  I started with Sage it Ain't So, adding a small amount of I'm Not Limon while the Sage was still wet, allowing the colors to blend.  Then a added Rita on the Rocks here and there in small amounts.  I took my heat gun and started to dry the green just a little bit.  Then I dabbed Slow Ocean in spots opposite of where I used Rita on the Rocks.  I love that subtle hint of blue in all the greens.  Brought back my heat gun to dry the greens once more so I could come back with Penny 4 Your Thoughts drawn around my pencil line.


Once the paint wsa all dry, I glued my papers and photos back where I wanted them.




Now it's all about the embellishments, When it comes to placing embellishments down, I don't think about the background.  I think about "filling the gaps", where is my design going, and what helps tell my story?



In the end, by beautiful greens and brown get covered up and become the "shadow" I'm looking for.  They end up blending along with the layout.  I do come back with splats from Penny 4 Your Thoughs.  I also fill in a couple more spots with Sage it Ain't So where I wanted a little more green to be showing.  Then I mounted my whole warpped layout on another print from this collection to help keep the layout flat.


Thank you so much for stopping by! Remember, everytime you put my name in the comment section of your next order, you'll receive a free gift!


Check out my process video here:

https://youtu.be/JVq4wIXogj8

I'll see you next time for another Shimmerz project!

Check you later!
MK










No comments: