Thursday, June 26, 2014

Getting Whimsical with Shimmerz {and NEW INLINGZ!!}

 
Hi everyone!  Gabrielle here with you today to share with you my first project as a Shimmerz Educator!  I was so excited to get my happy little hands on some of the NEW Inklingz and was just amazed by the beautiful effect you can get with them. 
 
 
As soon as I saw the color 'Blue My Mind' from the Inklingz, I knew I had to do something whimsical with it.  I pulled out some polymer baking clay (Sculpey or Fimo) and made a mermaid tail to act as a center-piece to my canvas design. I also made a few little accent pieces (Starfish designs) to add to the canvas as well.  The mermaid was made by sculpting the clay by hand and the 'scales' were added by using the tip of a pen (with the pen retracted so that the ink tip doesn't touch the clay).  I used the pen tip on the starfish as well.  Baked it for 15 minutes and gave the piece a coat of Gesso....now it is ready to paint!  I gathered together a bunch of my gorgeous Shimmerz products and an 8"x10" canvas and got started.  Here is a list of the Shimmerz products I used for this canvas.....
 
 
Shimmerz Products: 
Inklingz (Blue My Mind, Miner Miner 49er), Texturez (Patina), Spritz (Treasured Hymn), Vibez (Egg Noggin', Jenni B Bleu), Dazzlerz (Tutti-Frutti), Shimmerz (Key Lime, Green Olive).

And to make it easy to follow along, I created a video tutorial to show, step by step how I created this canvas.  Enjoy!



Here are a few close-ups of my project....

 
The Inklingz create such a wonderful two toned, shimmering effect, I think my favorites are in the 'Gold' collection, I know I'll be using these again and again!

 
As you can see in the video, Shimmerz products are easy to use.  The Inklingz are a little different because they are a dry cake, much like a watercolor pigment cake.  You just add a little sprtiz of water let it sit for a moment and do a little stirring with your paint brush.  The more you stir, the thicker and more luxurious the paint becomes.

 
For my chipboard piece I used some Shimmerz paint, they have wonderful little flecks of mica in them that not only add glitter to your design but even a tiny bit of texture as well.

 
And finally here is a photo of the corner cluster of embellishments I added to my project.  I hope you enjoyed my project and that I've inspired you to give a mixed media canvas a try. 
 
If  you would like to purchase some of the NEW Inklingz or any other Shimmerz products, just head on over to the SHIMMERZ STORE .....and remember if you would like a FREE bonus Shimmerz product, when you put your order in just put my name 'Gabrielle' into the 'INTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT' area and you will recieve a FREE full sized bottle of Dimensionz or Shimmerz or a sample sized jar of Dazzlers or Textures in the color of your choice!
Note: right now you can get extra savings on your Inklingz by purchasing full sets of the Pearl, Gold or Metal color groups!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by today and checking out my project! xo
 

1 comment:

Janene said...

Only Gabi could do this...What a perfect match - Gabi and Shimmerz. Great video tutorial as always! Thanks for sharing!