Wednesday, March 27, 2019

You Rock | Niki Rowland


Hey guys! Niki here with a fun new layout to share with you today.
One of my new favourite techniques is to apply mixed media to a cut file. Of course all the beautiful colours by Shimmerz are perfect for this!

I cut the large background star from a piece of heavyweight white card. I use Marshmallow by Bazzill. It's smooth and I've heard that it is already primed for applying mixed media but I can't find anything from the manufacturer about this. But regardless, it is heavyweight and takes mixed media really well so to me, it is perfect!


The star is a cut file by Just Nick. It is lots of squares and rectangles that together form a large star. Once cut, I left the cut file on the cutting mat. I then applyed my mixed media. I've used all Shimmerz products of course, and they are:


These are all Shimmerz original paints. I love that they are already mixed and ready to paint with, it makes mixed media very easy!


I had already decided what papers I was going to use so I matched the Shimmerz paints to the colours in the collection. I then applied the paints by using the packaging technique. I put a small amount of paint on a piece of packaging, then add a little bit of water. Then I press the packaging onto my paper, in this case onto the cut file that was still stuck to the cutting mat.  I then use my fingers to spread the colour around if needed. The effect is a gorgeous water colour effect and I love how the colours all blend together so beautifully.


Once my cut file was dry, I carefully peeled the surround off the mat and used it as a template over a piece of white card. I then peeled each piece of the star off the mat and stuck it through the template. I raised each piece up on foam pads for dimension...this took a while!

I then proceeded to cover up most of my beautiful star, as is often the way with mixed media layouts! However I'm delighted with the result of this and it's a great way to document the school successes of my little boy.

Thank you so much for joining me today, I hope you enjoyed this layout and will give this technique a try. Happy scrapping xxx


Products used:

When you place an order via the Shimmerz website, enter my name in the comments to get yourself a freebie - happy days!


No comments: