Monday, July 20, 2015

Using Deli Paper and Shimmerz Paints to Create a Mixed Media Background

Hi and Happy Monday!

Tina here today with a super fun technique for creating random, spray mist and watercolor backgrounds, using Deli Paper.

The starting point (and inspiration catalyst) for my Art Journal pages always starts with my backgrounds.  I love to experiment and try new product and techniques for interesting and colorful designs.

I 'stumbled' upon this idea out of what already existed on my desk, deli paper.  A few years ago, I purchased a huge box of deli paper to use for Gelli Prints and layering in scrapbook pages.  Because I have more than I will ever use, I often use it to 'protect' my surface as I create other projects.  A few weeks ago, I had finished another project and loved the color left over on my deli paper, so I 'smooshed' it onto a black art journal page.  I loved the Kaleidoscope look so I thought it would be fun to play and create a background for a finished Art Journal page.



Here's a brief step by step on how I created this background.

Step One
Grab some of your favorite Shimmerz Sprays and Creemeez.  You will also need deli paper or wax paper.




Step Two
Spray and/or paint with your mists and watercolors, directly on the deli paper.  Not much spray/paint is needed as it beads up on the paper.


Step Three
Fold the deli paper in half (lengthwise) and smoosh the spray/paint together.  Colors will blend and mix beautifully.


 Step Four
Open your deli paper and 'print' directly onto your blank art journal page.  I love the mirrored image you get from the paint.




Step Five
Repeat Step Three and Four, adding layers to your art journal page until you have created a background you love.  I placed the deli paper in different directions on my page to add color in all directions.



Step Six
Add stamping, doodling, etc.
I painted my stamp with acrylic paint and stamped directly on my background.  I added doodling and words to finish my page.









This technique would look fabulous on a mixed media scrapbook layout as well.  I hope you enjoyed my project today.

Thank you for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day!

p.s. Remember, if you were inspired by my project today, and place an order for Shimmerz product, mention my name in the 'Instructions to Merchant' section and receive FREE Shimmerz product.

No comments: