Monday, April 13, 2015

Getting Buggy with Shimmerz! Mixed Media Canvas

Hi...

Happy Monday!  Tina here today with a fun, funky, and totally cool project:  A Buggy Mixed Media canvas!


 One of my favorite project types to create these days, is anything dimensional, different, and alterable.  Today, I am sharing a fun and funky Bug Canvas, using Shimmerz Paints and Paper Whimsy Alterables.

My original intention was to create a step by step how-to, but I got so involved in my projects, the step by step phased out, so I will try and explain my process as I go along.  ;)

Step One:  Cover each Alterable piece with Gesso.

 Step Two:  Add texture with Dazzelerz and your favorite stencil(s).



Step Three:  Add color with your favorite Shimmerz Sprays. 
 
Repeat across all Alterable pieces until happy with color and texture.  

Step Four:  Prepare Canvas.  I sprayed the background of my canvas with a Shimmerz Spray and checkerboard stencil.  I dried this completely, then sprayed the entire canvas with another color. 
p.s. I'll let you in on a little secret.  My original idea was to use the backside of the canvas and place my 'bug' over the back opening.  I really didn't like how the back looked after I finished it, so I went with Plan B (the front), and loved how it turned out.
 


Step Five:  Prepare metal tacks.  I covered 50 (or so) black tacks with gesso, then painted each with Shimmerz sprays and Creemez.  I then hammered them into my canvas, all around the outer edge.  As you can image, the hammering removed the paint from several tacks, so I just re-applied the paints to the tacks and viola! In hindsight, I should have just added the gesso/paint after I hammered them in. Not sure what I was thinking. :)  





 I assembled the Bug, adding several metal embellishments, re-colored with Red Alcohol Ink. 


 I really love how this turned out!  It is TOTALLY ME!  What do you think? ;)



Shimmerz Products Used:  
Dazzelerz: Sour Apple, Sea U in the Mornin'
Vibez: Taupe of the Mornin', Hermit the Frog, Blue Jeans, Rollin in the Hay, Jeni B Bleu
Coloringz: Oh Say Can U Sea, My Bleeding Heart, No Yoking
Spritz: Olive Branch, Caribbean Sunset, Chick-a-dee
Shimmeringz: Heavy Metal
Creemez: Daffodil

Remember, if you were inspired by my project today and place an order, please mention my name in the 'Instructions to Merchant' section and recieve FREE product.  Easy Peasy!



No comments: