Saturday, August 15, 2009

Hair Accessories for little Girls

Are you getting your kids ready for school? Mine started last week and I have been busy making hair accessories to match their new outfits. I thought I would show you how easy they are to make and how Shimmerz makes them better than anything you could buy in the store. So grab your favorite drink and get ready to learn something fun that will put a smile on that special little girls face!!


First I go to my local hobby store and pick out some flowers that I really like, here I mainly bought large daises but you can use almost any type of flower you want as long as they are not single petals.


You next want to pull of the stems and the backing so that you can separate all the layers to the flower.


When you are done you will end up with a pile something like this. Pick out a few flowers that you would like to layer to make one big flower cluster. I usually do about 5 or 6 or different sizes.


Next I lay out my flowers and spray them with my Spritz. I am using baby's breath but if you want a certain color you can always spray your white flowers with any of the 21 colors of Spritz. Set them aside to dry, or you can use a heat gun if you are in a hurry.


Sometimes your flowers may be bent in funny directions, you can flatten them out by spraying them with your spritz and then using a heat tool or blow dryer to dry the spritz. Because the Spritz is water based it makes the flower wet removing any previous folding.


Once you have them all sprayed you can layer them to get your exact design before you make it permanent.


Start with your bottom flower and put hot glue in the center and then lay the next flower on top of it. Keep gluing and layering until all the flowers are in place.


At this point I like to give it one final spray with my baby's breath spritz, after all you can never have enough sparkle when it comes to little girls.


I always have to finish my centers, you could use a button or a brad whichever you prefer.


I use a 2 1/4 inch barrett for the back of my flowers so that it will fit in my 2 year old and 6 year old daughters hair. I glue it on with the hot glue gun and make sure to push the flower all the way down so there is flower glued to the entire barrett.


And now it is already to be used.



This flower was on the larger size but I like the big ones for pony tails and for pulling their sides up. You can make them smaller if you want to use them on pigtails or just one small flower to use with their hair pinned up. There are so many options with these!!


And the Shimmerz spritz gives them the sparkle that every little girl loves. My daughters always call it their fancy princess hair.

I hope you have learned something new to help make the first day of school special!! Thanks bunches for stopping by!!

4 comments:

TanishaRenee said...

this is adorable! what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

Kristen said...

I make flower hair clips (among others) for my daughter all the time. I haven't seen your spritz before, but those are darling! I will have to find some and start adding more "bling".

Stac said...

I'm so glad you did a tutorial on these adorable hair flowers. Love the idea!!!