Thursday, May 28, 2020

Mixed Media Layout | Missy Whidden

Hey, friends!  Missy here with a new layout featuring some beautiful Shimmerz along with a cut file.  I was inspired to put this color scheme together by the "Colorful" title sticker.  It's from Vicki Boutin, and I love the rich rainbow colors.  This Poppy Frame cut file is from Just Nick, and it was the perfect overlay for my colorful background.

The colors I used are:

I used white cardstock to cut the cut file and also as my background.  I started by coating the background with clear gesso.  I wanted to create a rainbow color wash behind where the cut file would go, giving instant life to the open flowers.  I added a bit of each color using a brush and then spritzed it all with water.  I used a brush to help spread and blend the colors around.  I added more water and less color as I got lower on the page to make it lighter and more faded.  Once it dried, I glued the cut file down over it.  Instant beauty!


I only glued the cut file down along the edges.  I popped up the flowers a bit by adding tiny bits of adhesive foam under them.  Here you can see the beautiful shimmer from the color.


All of the embellishments I used are from Vicki Boutin Color Kaleidoscope.  I used some cut bird & flower stickers and some flower die cuts.  I popped most of them up using adhesive foam.


I created a little floral cluster down at the bottom using the same colors and then added in a few chipboard word pieces.  I tucked some yellow orange tangled thread under the large pink flower.


I love this little bird...he looks like he's looking at the photo.  I placed some smaller flowers around the top part of the layout as well.


How beautiful is this title sticker?!  I loved creating the background to match.


I thought these two cameras were so cute, so I layered them together.


I really love these deep rich colors.


Here are few more close-ups of all the beautiful shimmery colors and details :)





I hope this inspires you in some way today.  How often do you create a color scheme around one single item?  I usually create a color scheme first and then hunt for embellishments to match.  This layout was the opposite.  Sometimes it's fun to search through your stash and become inspired by something you forgot you had...haha!

Here's the process video for this page:



Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!






No comments: