Saturday, July 8, 2017

DIY Absorbent Ground & Shimmerz Watercolors | Zinia Amoiridou

Hello artsy friends! It's Zinia here and welcome back to the Shimmerz blog!
Today I'm going to share with you an art journaling spread I created with my Shimmerz watercolors.



To start with my page I decided to prime my journal with a layer of absorbent ground. That is pretty much like a gesso for watercolors. It creates a nice absorbent base for your watercolors to sit on.

There are a few companies that make such primer but if you don't want to invest in it, you can create it on your own by mixing gesso with light modeling paste. The general ration is around 1:1 but I usually add a little bit of extra paste to make it extra absorbent. 





I decided to tint my primer with a tiny dot of AcriTonez in Roses are Red. 

Before you start adding watercolors on your page you need to make sure your ground is completely dry. I usually let mine sit overnight cause I like adding a relatively thick layer.



Then I picked some of my favorite colors of Creameez and Inklingz and randomly added them on my page to create a watercolor splash look. The products I used were: Creameez in Just Peachie, 1 Hot Mama and Inklingz in Gosh Garnet, Coral Reef, She Packs a Punch and I'm not Limon.



When that layer dried as well, I decided to add some doodles as focal points. I used one of my Coloringz in Pink Stilettos and instead of adding color in a palette and picking it with my brush, I used a droplet tool and I filled a waterbrush with the color. This way I had my own DIY Shimmerz pen to doodle with.




When my doodles dried too, I went over them with a white paint pen to add more details and finished the page by adding some opaque white splatters all over.


Thank you so much for joining me today. I really hope you enjoyed the process of this page. If you got inspired and you want to grab some gorgeous Shimmerz goodies make sure to mention my name "Zinia" at the comment section of your order to receive a FREE Shimmerz product! 





1 comment:

Lydell Quin said...

Every time this pops up in my feed on FB I am like...."ooooh so lovely" :-)