Thursday, August 6, 2015

Having fun with Quick and Easy Mixed Media Backgrounds

Happy Thursday!

Tina here today with my final Shimmerz Education Team projects.  I have part of the Shimmerz family for over a year and it is time for me to say goodbye!  I want to thank Stacey for creating such amazing products and for being flexible during periods when I had a lot of personal things going on.

I thought my final projects should take me back to my scrapbook roots!  I will show you how to create quick and easy mixed media backgrounds for any scrapbook page.

For my first layout, I wanted to use one of my favorite techniques for creating backgrounds:  using heat embossing for a resist, textural look.


The great thing about using this technique is that you can create any color palette to go with other embellishments or theme you want to show.

I use 12x12 chipboard sheets so multiple mediums can be used without warping or ripping the background.  I pre-gessoed my sheet, then embossed the background with white embossing powder.  


Then add your favorite Shimmerz Sprays or Paints, letting the paints mix and blend for a free formed background.


 

Add your embellishments of choice and DONE!  

Shimmerz products used:
Spritz: Treasured Hymn, Taupe o'the morning
Coloringz: Peachy Keen
Vibez: Hot Fudge

For my second layout, I created a custom made Rice paper embellishment.



Using a single sheet of Rice paper, crinkle the paper and wet randomly with water.



Spray the rice paper with various Shimmerz Sprays, Inklingz, and Creemez.



Once the paper is dry, cover the sheet with a thin layer of clear resin.  (I used Amazing Crafting Products Clear Cast Resin)
The resin adds a bit of interest and texture and it's just plain fun.

Let the resin cure completely (for 24 hours).




Once the resin has cured, cut randomly sized rectangles from the paper.  These will be hand-stitched on my background.

Add other randomly sized paper rectangles and embellishments to create a grid pattern.  Hand stitch each embellishment in place and add more hand stitching to the outside edge.







Shimmerz products used:
Vibez:  Jenni B Bleu, Hot Fudge
Coloringz: Oh Say Can U See
Spritz:  Treasured Hymn
Creemeez: Get Glowing

Simple, easy, and doesn't require many supplies.

I hope you enjoyed my two mixed media backgrounds!  As always, thank you for stopping by!

No comments: