Wednesday, September 30, 2009

At Dusk a mixed media Canvas

Lucy Edson here, with a mixed media canvas I created with Shimmerz and few other products. Let me share a little of my process with you. I began by building some texture onto a 12x12 canvas with Liquitex Natural Sand- texture gel - this stuff is awesome - I linked it to the catalog if you want some for yourself. ;) I applied it with a palette knife along the top and bottom edges and let it dry. Then a coat of gesso and blended some acrylic paint in soft colors. Then I used Shimmerz Spritz in Baby's Breath for a pearly glimmer. Then laid out my design and attached the Prima papers with gel medium. I'll add some notes about the details with the close-ups but here is the completed project - one of my personal favorites to date.


I feel it really captured the soft feel of twilight at the beach and the freedom of childhood - two things I adore.


You can see some of the irridescent effect of the Shimmerz, below, and I cut out the butterflies from a Prima papers and painted it with some Shimmerz in Pixie Dust - love the glitz and shine.

To mimic the sunset, I added some Shimmerz Blinz in Gold Gimmer - very glittery!!


A close-up of my embellishment cluster - don't you love the new Prima flowers! Dreamy! I made some wire wraps with pearl beads to add a sheen and dimension. Also, added some hand-dyed scrim to add some softness and the feel of seaweed.


Notice the great texture from the sand texture and sheen!


The side angle - I am in love with this piece!!



It is so easy to take your ideas for a layout and turn them into a home decor project like this! Enjoy the process and have a wonderful day!

Lucy

5 comments:

roree said...

Gorgeous!

Love the Decor! said...

lovely I really need to get this shimmerz stuff!!

TanishaRenee said...

so gorgeous Lucy!!!

Stac said...

STUNNING!!! What more can I say.

Nan said...

So so so beautiful! What an inspiring piece Lucy!