Wednesday, December 19, 2018

You Better Not Cry (or Pout) | Missy Whidden

Hey there!  Missy here with a fun Christmas layout using lots of Shimmerz Paints.  As soon as these pictures were taken a few weeks ago, I knew right away what my title would be for this layout :)  My daughter had a random meltdown at the Christmas Tree lot, and there were lots of sad faces.  I wanted my title to be big, so I made it using a cut file.  These letters are from the Out of Line Alpha cut file from The Cut Shoppe.  I cut them on white cardstock and backed them with papers from a few Bella Blvd lines...Santa Stops Here & Holly Jolly Christmas.  I used those colors as inspiration for my Shimmerz selections.

I used a patterned paper background and coated the majority of it with white gesso.  This fades out some of the pattern and creates a white space to work on.  I used Vibez Blue Jeans to match the colors in the photo.  I also used Spritz Cotton Candy, Vibez Jeni B Bleu, Creameez Ride the Tide and Shimmerz Christmas Cheer.  I used the packaging technique and a brush to apply the colors.


I really love how these colors look together.  It's fun to use non-traditional colors on a Christmas page.  I used a brush to add some Blue Jeans to the blue papers in the letters since that color wasn't in the papers.  I arranged the title where I wanted it, glued it down and machine stitched through each line with gold thread.  I LOVE the glittery shimmer from the Christmas Cheer!


I fussy cut some tiny trees from a patterned paper and created a little forest in this open space.  I created some ground for them with more stitching.  Here you can see the faded dots from the background through the color but they are very subtle.


This Spritz Cotton Candy pink is one of my favorites!  I love how it looks with the red here.  And again, that gold shimmer!


I always say my backgrounds are a hot mess during the making process, but once everything is situated on top of it....the whole thing changes.  I love how the white in the letters pops against all the background color.  To make the letters stand out a bit more, I lightly traced around them with a gold pen.


I added a few Bella Blvd stickers that were a bit sarcastic for the photos...haha :D


I fussy cut this tree from patterned paper, and this cute little Santa is actually a sticker.  I stuck it to some paper and then fussy cut it out.


Here are a few more close-ups...




I really had a great time putting this together!  I hope it gives you some fun ideas to try.  Do you ever use your patterned papers as a guide for choosing your Shimmerz colors?  It's fun to build a color palette that way :)

Here's a process video showing how I created this if you're interested:



Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great week!


Supplies Used:



No comments: