Saturday, February 24, 2018

"Weeds are Flowers Too" Mixed Media Layout | Suzanna Stein

Hey crafty pals, Suzanna here! I'm so excited to be back with another mixed media layout! I had so much fun creating this one and was really inspired by the colors of my Shimmerz products.

I started off with a simple background made up of acrylic paint and a few of my favorite Shimmerz mists - Spritz, Coloringz, and Vibez. I'll list all the colors I used below.

Once my background was dry, I went in with Texturez in Crushed Coral and Patina. Using a craft sponge, I dotted the Texturez shades around the layout to give it shimmer and texture.


After letting those dry, I added highlight to my layout with Shimmerz Antique Lace. This subtle color blended in with the purple and pink shades of my layout, leaving a gorgeous shine.

Then, I added more color and dimension with a few additional Shimmerz colors in brighter shades. After doing that, this layout reminded me of a bouquet or field of spring flowers, and I knew that was the theme I wanted to go with for the rest of the layout!


I added a few splatters of gold acrylic paint, as well as Spritz Chance of Rain. I love the way this added a pop of a darker color to the layout!

It's hard to see in the photos, but I also used Paste-eez Puttin' On The Glitz to add dimension. Using a palette knife and a stencil, I made small subtle plus signs of this gorgeous clear shimmery shade. When you're looking at the layout in person, they give a subtle pop and are only noticeable at certain angles. However, once you see them, they totally pull the entire layout together!


I finished the pages with a little stamping, paint pen doodling, and a quote. Although the stamps and doodles aren't flowers, the swooping shape of the strokes reminded me of flower petals, and I love the character it adds to the spread!


I absolutely love the way this mixed media layout turned out! It was fun to step out of my comfort zone and mix colors I don't normally put together. Plus, I'm totally in the mood for spring now. Bring on the bright colors and pretty flowers!

I'll be back next month for more mixed media inspiration! In the mean time, you can follow along with me over on Instagram!


No comments: