Thursday, September 11, 2014

Get Your Rainbow On ~ Art Palette Canvas with Video Tutorial


Hello Shimmerz fans!  Gabrielle here with you today to share an OTP (Off the page) using a really fun wooden art palette canvas I got in the September kit at Flying Unicorn Kit Club.  There were so many cool metal ornaments included in this kit so I went and used these and some of the flowers and Shimmerz mixed media elements included in this kit as well.  I also added other colors of Shimmerz paints as well. Here are the Shimmerz products I used in this project:

~Golden Wheat Shimmerz
~Grape Escape Vibez
~Caribbean Sunset Spritz
~Hot Fudge Vibez
~Beets Me Inklingz
~Pugnacious Purple Inklingz
~Me and Blue Inklingz
~ Giddy about Green Inklingz
~Gold Mine Inklingz
~Pink Inklingz
~Tarnished Treasure Inklingz
~ Brass Knuckles Inklingz

I recorded a video tutorial on how I made this canvas design, hope you enjoy!


I thought I would share a bunch of close-ups that you can enjoy at your leisure. Above is a close-up of the embellishment cluster, a combination of metal accents, blooms and gems.  I gave the whole thing a coat of gesso and then spritzed and painted with Grape Escape Vibez.  Last but not least, I dabbed on some Brass Knuckles Inklings to further the metalic look on my embellishment cluster.


I used a variety of stencils....Heidi Swapp Moroccan stencil, Crafter's Workshop 'Art Is' stencil and the Prima 'Sunrise Sunset' Checkerboard stencil to create a textural background on my palette.  I then layered on lots of Shimmerz colors to create an 'artsy' looking background.


I chose a quote that I thought would work nicely with the art palette design....'Art is not what you see but what you make others see' ....I used the Tim Holtz alphabet stickers (included in the Flying Unicorn kit mixed with some Webster's Pages alphabet stickers I had in my home stash).


Here is another shot of the embellishment cluster.....I finished the design with a few colorful adhesive gems.


Originally I had planned to use a bunch of large colorful gems as my 'paint colors' but couldn't find them in the size and colors I was looking for....then I came across these 'sugared' gems at a local dollar store and went with these.  I used a variety of coordinating colors of Inklingz as a background mosaic design behind the colored gems.


There are a bunch of paint brushes included in the palette set, so I took two of these brushes as accent pieces to my design and 'dirtied them up a bit, giving them a well used look, by smudging on some paint colors before I applied them to my canvas.

I hope you enjoyed today's project! If you would like to order some of the beautiful Shimmerz products used on this project you can find them HERE.....and remember if you would like to get a FREE/Bonus Shimmerz product, be sure to mention my name 'Gabrielle' in the INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT part of your order, and Shimmerz will send you a bonus product in the color of your choice.



Before I leave today I want to share some exciting news!!  The lovely folks at Shimmerz Paints have been hard at work creating NEW and EXCITING paint colors!  I just had a peek and the NEW colors are up and ready to go!  I don't know about you but I'm super excited to give these new color palettes a go! xo


1 comment:

lafée said...

waoouuuu les couleurs sont fantastiquement lumineuse.. j'adore
bonne journée