Friday, March 27, 2009

An Easter Gift Box


First I took a Michael’s $1 wood gift box and painted it with a quick coat of white acrylic paint. While it was still wet, I put a couple quick coats of Ultra Marine Shimmerz on it until it reached the color intensity that I was looking for. I could have painted the box with just the Shimmerz, but because the wood is porous the Shimmerz paint would act more like a stain, it would still be shimmery but that was not the look I was going for. I could have also just mixed the Shimmerz with the acrylic paint before painting it on, but I wasn’t sure how much to use, so I found just adding the Shimmerz to the wet paint worked best for me! It was a bit hard to pick up the shimmer on the wood with my camera….but it is there…..and it is beautiful!


For the Prima flowers, I did pre-mix the acrylic paint with the Shimmerz. It doesn’t take much Shimmerz to tint the paint if you are working in small quantities, which I was for the flowers. I LOVE how the paint made the flowers a bit on the stiff side - they kept their shape so well, and of course, I LOVE the shimmering creamy blue the two mixed together created! Once the paint was dry, I finished off the box with some Basic Grey paper, Nestabilities, the Imaginisce Bird, and Copics!



Thanks for stopping by!
Kisa

1 comment:

Kim Dellow said...

How cute is this? I hear a lot about these Michael's shops - boy I wish we had them in the UK. Kim