Monday, January 16, 2023

Magical New Beginnings | January Color Kitz | Sarah Millerhouse

 Hello, Friends! I'm Sarah Millerhouse, and I am super excited to share my first layout for Shimmerz Paints! I used the beautiful January Color Kitz to create this layout and had a blast exploring the colors!


To begin this layout, I cut the January cutfile two times on my Cricut using textured white cardstock. I painted one of the cutfiles with Shimmerz - In the Navy, and I painted the other one with Inklingz - Rose Colored Glasses. These beautiful products are full of shimmer and shine! I set them off to dry for a little while. When they were totally dry, I ran the letters painted with Rose Colored Glasses through my texture/diecutting machine in a texture folder from Sizzix. This added a beautiful pattern to the letters and really helped the shimmer pop off the page! 


On the cutfile I painted with In The Navy, I splattered Shimmerz - Silver Bells on the middle word and letter outlines. This just added a little subtle visual interest! I also added a white layer behind the cutfile to help it stand out from the patterned background on the page. 

TIP: I used the "Offset" tool in the Cricut software at a .70 to create the very thin white shadow. 


I added the Spritz - Burst My Bubble to the background of my layout. For the background, I used Foundations white mixed media cardstock. Using this paper, you do not need to prep the background with gesso or anything. The paper will take all of the wet medium well, with very little to no warping.


I then used patterned paper and embellishments from the Print Shop collection by Vicki Boutin to complete the layout. The colors in the collection coordinate so beautifully with the colors in the January Color Kitz. I especially love how the navy and pinks in the patterned paper make the sparkle of the mediums shine even more! They definitely speak to one another, and this helps the layout feel cohesive. I used my herb shears (much like fringe scissors, but sharper and work so much better) to create fringe out of strips of patterned paper. I layered that down the left side of the page. 


I finished the layout by adding flowers and floral clusters that I fussy cut from the patterned paper in the large clusters around the page. By triangulating the clusters (having three that create a visual triangle), your eye is drawn to the center of the layout where the title and my sweet photo rest! I added a few shiny embellishments to the centers of the flowers and around the clusters. 

TIP: When adding flowers to a layout, bend up the edges of flower petals and pinch the edges of leaves to add great texture and make them look more like a bouquet. 

TIP: Add flowers to the cluster with craft foam at varying thicknesses to give your clusters/layout texture and dimension. 


I have all the details in a full process video linked below! 


Have a beautiful and creative day! Remember to add my name in the comment box on your order to receive a free gift from Shimmerz! Thank you for stopping by!

-Sarah Millerhouse














No comments: