Saturday, November 19, 2016

Creating Shapes with Coffee Filters

Happy Saturday, shimmery friends!  Missy here to share a layout using lots of yummy Shimmerz products, the new Pink Paislee Moonstruck collection and coffee filters.  Yes!  Coffee filters!  If you watch our weekly Shimmerz Shortz videos, then you saw how I used various Shimmerz sprays on coffee filters to create pretty leaves and feathers.  I did the same thing here for these hearts, but I used more than just sprays this time.  I used some of the original Shimmerz Paints, some Creameez and Inklingz and lots of sprays.  One of my favorite things about Shimmerz is that it's easy to customize your color scheme.  That's what I did for these hearts...I chose lots of colors that matched these beautiful Moonstruck papers and went to work. 


All I did was flatten out the coffee filters on top of some paper towels and then started applying all the paint.  I sprayed, I brushed, I added water...basically just making a mess :)  The coffee filters are pretty tough and had no problems holding all the liquids.  I even blasted them with my heat gun and they turned out great.  Once they were dry, I pulled out my Cuttlebug and an old Sizzix heart die cut and ran them through it.  They cut beautifully!!  I was rather excited to see how well they did.  Then I stitched through them with my sewing machine and as you can see, they held up wonderfully.  I used some Glorious Day Vibez on my background here.  I used the packaging technique.  I also added in a mix of Creameez Cheeky Pink and Inklingz Mochachino.  These colors alone are just gorgeous, but when you mix them together something magical happens!


I went small and subtle with my title.  I used one of the Moonstruck die cuts here with a small coffee filter heart under it.  I added several rub-ons, a pink clear sticker, and then I added a few Tim Holtz phrase stickers and my date.


I mostly used die cuts from Moonstruck for my layers here.  I used a few 6x6 papers behind my photos, and I used lots of the pretty rub-ons.  I also added in some tangled thread in a dark teal color.


Aren't these hearts so pretty?  I used so many colors on all of them.  I'll list all the colors at the end, and you can also see which color is where in my process video down below.  I talk about the colors as I'm using them.  For these two hearts, I added some foam under them to raise them up.


I used my craft knife on these flowers to separate them from the bigger piece so I could tuck my photo under them.  I didn't want to cover them up!  Look at the shimmer on that heart....so pretty!


Here's one last close-up of the top area.  I love the shimmy gold from the Glorious Day Vibez.  That teal color is Coloringz Well Blue Me Down.


I hope you love this as much as I do...making shapes out of coffee filters is my new favorite thing!  They almost act like a fabric vellum if that makes sense.  I love how they hold the color and how easy they are to cut.  They make excellent embellishments, and you can use whatever colors you want and make whatever shape you want!  It doesn't get any better than that....woo hoo!

Here's my process video so you can see exactly how to do this with the coffee filters.  I hope you enjoy!


Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great weekend!


List of Supplies:
Vibez--Sweetheart, Blushing Bride, Pop Art Pink, Don't Rain on My Parade, Glorious Day
Shimmerz Paints--Bubble Gum Blast, Anchors Away, Berry-licious, Teal the End of Time
Spritz--Walkin' a Tight Heliotrope, Cotton Candy
Coloringz--Well Blue Me Down
Creameez--Cheeky Pink
Inklingz--Mochachino


1 comment:

Sherrie J. said...

I already commented on your YouTube channel. But you KNOW how much I love this idea!