Monday, November 30, 2009

JOY frame

I love altering things, and this frame was no exception. Originally this was meant to be used with photos, however, I dropped it, and the glass broke into a million pieces, which was a blessing in disguise. I decided to make a decorative piece with this for Christmas instead. I covered the inside of the frame with papers from Scrap Works and ribbon from Making memories. I then covered chipboard and put in on the "windows" I had to find a way to make the background work - and so what I did is used my Shimmerz Spritz in Baby's Breath and sprayed the background 3 times to create the "shimmery" background. The spritz absorbed into the wood quite well, and with the extra coats, it really makes it shine and adds a very unique background. I also went ahead and used my Shimmerz Golden Wheat and Celery to color the star and the trunk on the chipboard piece. For the chipboard ornaments, I edged them in Shimmerz Tickle-me-turquoise and Jilted Jade. For my flower, which was a fabric flower, I originally spritzed the whole thing with Shimmerz Spritz in Baby's Breath, and once that was dried, I went ahead and colored the bottom layer of petals in Jilted Jade to give it some extra dimension and an extra layer of color. Finally, I decided to add the beautiful gold leaves with berries to make this piece a little more festive, and I decided to change the color of the brown stems, which I thought were a little boring. I went ahead and colored the stems with Shimmerz in Tickle-me-turqouise. I had t give it 3 layers, but the results are just beautiful. This is going to be a fantastic piece to display in my house for Christmas!
A closet up of the background with the Shimmerz added to it:


Some close up shots for you to see the detail in the flower and the gold leaves branches:

I hope you enjoyed this little project, and that you can see just how fun it can be to experiment with your Shimmerz products! Happy Monday!
-Deanna

4 comments:

TanishaRenee said...

this is such a beautiful piece of decor!

Lori Renn said...

Just gorgeous! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!Love the shiny effect and altering is so yummy!

Stac said...

Super job Deanna! It's so, so pretty.